Friday, February 4, 2011

Done with German!!!!!

Okay, so I'm not totally done with German...but I'm done going to German class EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for THREE. HOURS. :) woooot. Yesterday we had our oral final (interviews with other students in the class), and then a bunch of us went to visit Mozart's house. He lived in the apartment in Vienna for three years. We were in the exact room where he wrote The Marriage of Figaro (which I will hopefully see at the Opera later in February). It was really cool, and we got a free guided audio tour with the admission price. On our way back to IES we saw a huge crowd gathered near Stephansplatz, watching four guys breakdance in the middle of the street. I would've joined (because we all know I'm a fantastic break dancer) but I didn't want to embarrass anyone. So we watched, and then turned around to go home only to see we were facing the bakery display from Aida, a cafe nearby. Naturally we all went inside to "look", and we ended up coming home with pastries. Most people got Sachertorte, I got some fruit/cheese torte thing, I don't really know what it was though, besides delicious.

Today we had our German final!! It wasn't too bad, and now I'm done. The sun in shining (it's almost always cloudy here) and I'm ready for break. Tonight I'm making crepes for everyone. I also just contacted my soon-to-be flute teacher and hopefully will get a lesson when I'm back. She teaches at the University of Wien and seems like she's pretty awesome.


Oh! The day before yesterday...I guess that would be Wednesday, we went to see Stephansdome...aka St. Stephans Cathedral...aka the center of Vienna...aka AWESOME. pictures below.
I also went to the Opera to see The Magic Flute on Sunday night. Every venue here is soooo beautiful.
This is the opera house from where I was:


 Stephansdome with Hanna and Rachel:


 Inside the cathedral:

In the city on a beautiful day:



 Part of the street on the walk home:

The weather hasn't been terrible here (I guess I can't complain...it only snowed once) but I would mind an early spring:)...cough Groundhog Phil cough
Here's to hoping for more sun,
Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. I'm envious of how it always seems like you're happening upon awesome cafes. Seriously, now o_O

    That cathedral is beautifully amazing. Did you like the opera? Did you get a pair of official opera glasses?!

    ReplyDelete