Sunday, May 1, 2011

Geburtstag in Vienna and Weekend in Graz

I'm 21! Oh the irony of turning 21 in a country where nothing changes at that age....
but it was still great anyways!

That morning I woke up around 6:30 to study for a German test...when my alarm went off, my roommate Megan rolled over and said "Happy birthday!" still half asleep-pretty impressive that she remembered at 6:30 in the morning when she wasn't even awake.
So I took the German test (woo), went to rehearsals, and watched part of the royal wedding. I proceeded to check my mail, to find a package from my best friend Liz at school. There was a card from about 30 of my friends at school, a letter from Liz, a Gburg t-shirt, and some candy. Such a great surprise! It made me so happy:)
I went to babysit that afternoon, and the mother had made a cake for me, and so we ate cake and had coffee together with the kids (so funny to watch a two year old eat cake...). Then her daughter presented me with a box of chocolates:)! I also met her mother, who also wished me a happy birthday.

I went home, and walked in the door to a strange scene...my roommates and a few other people were in the kitchen, and I saw a few other friends on the couch. I looked around for a few seconds and everyone kind of paused...then yelled SURPRISE. My roommate Megan had called everyone and planned a surprise party:) So we had wine, and a DELICIOUS cake that Bev and Nick made, and it was fantastic. After a few glasses of wine and champagne (I should mention...I opened the champagne and the cork hit one of the lightbulbs...RIP living room light) some of us went to TGIF for dinner. Yes, I did this birthday American style. We had a great time, and somehow they told the waitress it was my birthday...so after dinner about 6 waiters marched up singing that obnoxious birthday song with the clapping. One of the waiters told me I had to stand on the table. Seriously.  I HAD too. Or else they were going to go away. So...I got on the table, and they handed me some massive dessert that had a sparkler (ON FIRE) in it and they sang to me. It was hilarious.
Sooo after that adventure we walked home and found out JUDE LAW WAS FILMING A MOVIE. IN THE NASCHTMARKT. ...So we hovered around that and saw him and that was also pretty fun.

Later we just slept for a few hoursand got up to go on the Styria (Graz) trip!
It decided to rain that day, but everyone still went to the outdoor museum. It was pretty cool...it was just a way of showing the different time period houses of different provinces in Austria...so just like a big hike around a moutain and you stop and walk through old-timey houses. Since it was pouring and I was wearing shorts, my friends Kevin and Rachel and I shared an umbrella. We walked in step and huddled together and it was so fun because Rachel says the craziest stuff and Kevin in the king of spontaneous one-liners.
Later we got a tour of the city of Graz--pretty much like Salzburg and Vienna combined-we loved it. Then we went to our hostel, had a good dinner, all that stuff.
Unfortunately Rachel and I fell asleep around 8-the plan was to take a brief nap and our other roommates would call us or come get us. But we slept through the phone call and woke up at 9am. 13 hours of sleep....new record? (That is way too much sleep if you ask me)

Then today we went to a thermal pool aka water park. AWESOME. There was a big giant pool, one outside, multiple hot tubs, two water slides, and a sauna. We spent most of the time in the hot tubs, and sauna. But anyways, I am pretty tired from today so I'm going to end it here. Unfortunately i don't have any pics because once again my camera decided to die. woo technology.

But anyways, the countdown to home has begun and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
The amount that I want to get home equals the amount that I want to stay.
Cognitive dissonance.

so yeah.
peace love and schnitzel.
-alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment